Tuesday, January 27, 2009
OK...so its been a while!
I know that it has been a while since I last posted. The babies are now a 22 days old! Its amazing how time flies when you are living in 3 hour increments! They got to come home from the NICU on this last Saturday. The neonatologist is very cautious, and he wanted them to stay until Sunday, but we insisted that they come home on Saturday. They were doing everything they had to do to come home, so the dr on call released them to us. It has been a definite learning experience, full of a lot of tearful times (mostly on our part) so far. It was extremely hard to leave them at the hospital for almost 2 extra weeks after I was released. There were a lot of times when I didn't even feel like I had given birth because I had no babies to hold and love on. But, the advantage was that I got to recover a lot before they came home and they came home on a schedule. They eat like little baby birds now, always waking up exactly 3 hours later to be fed again. They are quick eaters now too, which makes feeding so much less stressful than in the hospital. It also helps that we have tons of help. It's hilarious to hear everyone in my family come running whenever we say someone needs to be held, or fed, or diapered! They are spoiled already. We are trying to make sure that they are not held too much, as the NICU told us that the most important thing is sleep for them. Apparently preemies are at greater risk to not gain weight and burn calories faster than regular newborns. It makes sense, and they are still 3 weeks from their due date, so we are trying to make sure that we follow the "rules" until then. It is difficult not to hold them all the time and listen to their sweet baby noises, but we try to refrain except when they are near a feeding time. Gabe makes the best baby noises ever, but he is also the noisier baby. When he wants attention, he lets you know it!! Graycen is completely content to lay there with her eyes open staring at everything. She seems to be very smart already, as she can hold her pacifier in her mouth with her hand. It's quite cute! We are learning all the little tricks of the trade daily, and they are doing very well. The NICU nurses said that we have really good content babies, and we would have to agree. I hope to post some more pics of them online soon, but I have to make sure that it fits into my 3 hour window! Thanks for your prayers and support. We all appreciate it so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We are soo glad to hear from you. Our imaginations have been very active as we did not have the facts yet. We must say our inclinations were fairly accurate. We appreciate you taking time out to write. Those little babies seem adorable and good. We wish you the best and may Gabe and Graycen grow and be happy. Keep in touch and all our love and then some.
Post a Comment