Graycen Rose and Gabriel Blake Ford arrived on January 5th, 2009. She weighed in at 3lb, 15oz and he was 5lb, 10oz. Their delivery was quite unexpected, as they were only 34 weeks at the time. Just to give you the delivery overview...I woke up to go to the bathroom (not unusual) at 3:15 on Monday morning, and my water broke in the toilet. Well, I wanted to make sure that it was really labor, so I read in my "What to Expect" book that it could be up to 24 hours before the babies are born after your water breaks. I also started timing my contractions, and they were 3 minutes apart and only back labor. So, I called the dr, and his answering service said that someone else had the weekend call for him. So, I called that dr's service, and they asked how far along my contractions were. When I told them 3 minutes, they told me to go to the hospital. So, I arrived at the hospital at 4:10, walked to the delivery ward, and was admitted. I told them I really was having a lot of back pain, so they had me change and checked my cervix. I should have known that something was weird when the girl whispered to the other girl, and then she came back with someone else. The second cervix check hurt, and the lady apologized by saying, "I'm sorry, but I had to feel around the baby's head." So, then it clicked, and I asked Jeremy, "Did she just say she felt around the baby's head?" So, he asked, "How dilated is she?" The answer shocked us both, "9.5cm." OK---so this was about one hour after the water broke and contractions started!!! I think that's when the fear set in....I thought, "OH MY GOSH...I am having these babies NOW!!" They wheeled me into the OR, where I met the dr who delivered the babies, Dr. Chorness. They gave me the epidural (AKA---the best gift God ever gave women), and then they started the c-section. Graycen was born first, and she had the softest little cat cry. Gabe was 2 minutes later, and he was mad that he was out. They were both given an 8 on the Apgar score at 5 minutes after birth. Jeremy got to take some pictures right away, but I did not get to see them until 10:30 yesterday morning. I think it was just an oversight, but I started asking to see them right away. The nurses didn't want me to get up and go to the NICU because of the c-section pain, but I went anyway! The pain wasn't too bad, especially not after the labor pains that I had earlier on in the morning. My whole family was here when I was wheeled into recovery, and they all got to see the babies in the NICU before they went to work.
Anyways, that is the birth story. Later on that day, we went to see the babies and I got to touch them, but not hold them in the morning. Last night, we were supposed to be able to go to the 8pm feeding to feed them, but a new baby was being added to the NICU then, so they didn't allow people in. So, we waited until 10pm to get to hold them. We also got to hang around and feed them. My first time holding either of them was that night. Graycen and Gabe had gotten their first bath, which the nurses said they hated, and Graycen was super fussy. They changed her diaper and swaddled her and handed her to me SCREAMING. I started to cuddle her and talk to her, and she opened her eyes and looked at me...and stopped crying. It was beautiful! She knew her mommy's voice, and she instantly calmed down. I got to feed her, which was pretty complicated, and also fed Gabe. He has "wimpy white boy syndrome," which means that he is just lazy and doesn't want to work to eat. He is big enough to go home, but he has to learn to eat and regulate his temperature first. Jeremy looks so happy in the pictures that I took of him. He looks like it is the happiest day of his life! I'm sure that it is! We are totally in love with them already!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for the story!!! I loved reading every word!! Thank you. I wondered though, "why did you have a C-section"?
We are so excited for you. The pictures are awesome! I agree, they are beautiful and sweet AND Gabe is a mini-Jeremy. Those pictures of him holding them are the best!!!
It really is hard to pick a favorite photo...they are all so good. We recognize Jeremy's features in Gabe's face. It is so apparent. Graycen is so tiny and sounds very sweet. We thought it was so cute that you took time to check your "What To Expect" book just to be sure it was labor before going to the hospital. Your mom said it is exceptional that they didn't lose any weight just after birth...sounds like they are off to a good start. We know that you both will make great parents. We loved the shots of Gabe and Graycen being held by you two. The shots are so amazingly intimate that we could see babies making eye contact right away. Finally what we have all been hoping and praying for. We must admit a sigh of relief that all went so well. Thanks for sharing and God Bless.
What a sweet and wonderful story! I cried as I read it because I am just so happy for y'all! You are a total trooper with the pain! I only know what 6 cm. feels like and I thought I was dying so way to go Amber! We are praying for all 4 of you and that the babies will do exactly what they are supposed to do so they can come with you soon!
Post a Comment