Saturday, January 10, 2009

5 days old

It's hard to believe that our babies are 5 days old today! It doesn't seem like I started this week pregnant, and now I have two tiny babies that are MINE!!! It especially doesn't seem really because they are not home with me yet. It is very hard to leave them in the NCU, but I know that they are there for a reason, and they are being cared for correctly. We have had only good news since they went in. The neonatologist keeps on telling us how great they are doing, and that he is thinking they will go home late next week, which is very encouraging. Both Gabe and Graycen are right at or a little above their birth weight, and yesterday, Graycen drank her whole bottle at the 11am feeding (33cc or about 1oz). They are so sweet. Gabe makes this cute cooing sounds all the time and maintains eye contact with you very well. Graycen is a little doll, she stretches her whole body out (now that she's not squished by her brother) and she has given us a few "smiles." We have been doing kangaroo care at the 11am and the 5pm feedings and kangaroo care at both. They love the kangaroo care, and are slowly trying to learn to feed. Gabe really has no interest in it. He sits there with his mouth wide open like a baby bird, but hardly ever sucks on the bottle. Graycen will suck on the bottle, after you get it in her mouth. That's the hard part with her--she has her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth about 90% of the time! We have had fun feeding, changing, and dressing them. Everything is too big on tiny Graycen, so all her clothes are rolled up on the arms, and her feet are usually not even in the legs of the outfit. It's quite cute, and we know that she will quickly outgrow these clothes too. Gabe wears clothes very well, but he is about 2 lbs more than her. Jeremy and I are very tired, as I have been pumping every 3 hours, and he gets up with me to clean the pump and label the bottles. My milk has not come in completely yet, but I am up to about 1.5-2oz each time I pump. So, I am making progress. I am sure that it will not be a problem for long. We are praying that we have one big bright spot in each day (ie--one or both of them eating an entire bottle). We are immensely grateful for their health so far. Thanks to everyone for their prayers--they are working!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the journal you continue to keep. We care deeply and look forward to each encouraging blog entry that you write. Thank you. Much love to all.